Get more information on assistance with housing issues:
COVID-19 Housing Resources:
Illinois Eviction Moratorium
The Illinois Eviction Moratorium has been extended through October 3, 2021. Starting August 1, 2021, landlords can file evictions against tenants, but eviction orders will not be enforced until October 3, 2021.
- If you can't pay your rent due to financial hardship caused by COVID-19, fill out, sign, and give your landlord a declaration to be covered under the moratorium. Visit rentervention.com to create a declaration.
- If you have not applied for rental assistance, visit www.illinoisrentalassistance.org/providers to apply through and IDHS partner organization.
- If you're being threatened with eviction, you don't have to leave your home. Seek legal advice immediately by contacting organizations listed on ilaccesstojustice.com/eviction
Additionally, under the COVID 19 Eviction Protection Ordinance, landlords filing evictions due to nonpayment of rent against tenants who have coronavirus-related financial hardships shouldwait for a seven-day “cooling-off” period in addition to the regular five-day notice period. After the “cooling-off” period, landlords must show the court that they have engaged in good faith efforts to reach a reasonable alternative to eviction, including mediation, payment plans,or other options before an eviction can proceed.
Residential tenants who have lost income as a direct or indirect result of the COVID-19 pandemic should notify their landlords in writing within five days of receiving an eviction notice in order to further protect themselves from eviction.
Roof, Porch, and Emergency Heating Repair Programs
The Roof, Porch, and Emergency Heating Repair Programs are grant programs available to income-eligible Chicago homeowners to repair or improve to their homes. Open enrollment for the Emergency Heating Repair Program runs from Nov. 1 thru April 1. One-day lottery registration for the 2022 Roof and Porch Program’s service will take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. promptly on Thursday, May 20, 2021 only. There are 3 ways to register: Online at www.chicago.gov/roofandporch, through the CHI311 Mobile App, or by calling the City’s 311 service line. Only one registration per address will be accepted. To learn more visit our Homeowner’s Page.
Garfield Green (C40) Community Garfield Park Updates:
View a presentation from the October 28,2020 Garfield Park Community Council Land Use and Open Space Committee meeting to learn about the brief history and updates on the C40 development project. Community feedback is encouraged.
Rental Assistance Grants:
If you have experienced financial hardship as a result of COVID-19, you may qualify for assistance from the City of Chicago and other programs to pay your rent. Learn more about the requirements on our Renters page.
Illinois Solar for All:
This program creates greater access to the clean energy economy for low-income communities through incentives that help make solar installations more affordable and result in measurable savings for participants. Read more and contact La Shone Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the program.
Preserving Affordability Together: A BluePrint for Community Action:
This community-created booklet shares recommendations from an eight-month process to preserve affordability in East Garfield Park. Created with Metropolitan Planning Council and Institute for Housing Studies at DePaul University.
More Housing Resources:
- Chicago Bungalow Association Energy Savers Program: free energy upgrades for eligible vintage homes
- Rentervention Fact Sheet
- Institute for Housing Studies at DePaul University West Garfield Park Housing Maps
- City of Chicago DPD Presentation Maps, May 2019
- City of Chicago DPD Presentation: East Garfield Park Housing Opportunity and Analysis, May 2019
- City of Chicago DPD Presentation: East Garfield Park Housing Opportunity and Analysis, April 2019
- Tenants in Foreclosure Brochure
- Foreclosure Timeline for Tenants
- Community Receivership Manual
- Lending Resources for Homeowners