West Side Churches Offer Coronavirus Testing: ‘We Have To Meet The Community Where They Are’
GARFIELD PARK — A group of West Side churches will double as coronavirus testing sites for area residents for several weeks.
Sites will rotate so each week a different church will open its doors for testing appointments and limited walk-ins. Residents can make an appointment by calling 312-973-3867.
Greater Rock Missionary Baptist Church, 718 S. Independence Blvd., is the first in the group to transform into a testing site. Its testing services will be available daily through Jan. 8.
All sites will operate 11 a.m.-5 p.m. The churches will be open as testing sites on the following dates:
- Jan. 13-16: Way of Life Church International, 4635 W. Fulton St.
- Jan. 19-22: Friendship Baptist Church, 5200 W. Jackson Blvd.
- Jan 27-30: 2nd Mt. Olive Baptist Church, 5729 W. Chicago Ave.
- Feb. 2-5: Corinthian Temple Church of God in Christ, 4520 W. Washington Blvd.
- Feb. 10-13: People’s Church of the Harvest, 3570 W. Fifth Ave.
- Feb. 16-19: New Landmark Missionary Baptist Church, 2700 W. Wilcox St.
Rush University Medical Center will conduct the testing. The program is done in partnership with Alive Church Network, a group of West Side pastors working with Rush to address issues driven by health inequities. The network’s other projects have tackled food insecurity, mental health needs, and chronic heart disease on the West Side.